[WEB4LIB] How to learn programming

Johnson Darryl darryl.johnson at nlc-bnc.ca
Wed Jul 5 15:00:37 EDT 2000

It would seem to me that the answer to your question on the best way to
learn programming is to evaluate how _you_ learn. Some people are print
oriented, some people learn best by doing, some learn by copying examples,
etc.

Obviously, some guidance will be desirable, but whether that is from books,
working examples, or instructors, depends on your personal style. Some
people love CBT; others hate it.

A lot depends on the abilities and knowledge of the instructor/author as
well. So once you decide on the best method, your next need to search for
the best example of that method: the best books, the best courses, the best
working samples...

I don't know what sort of educational options/opportunities you get at
Athabaska Univ., or from other sources around your area, but it's worth
checking them out carefully before investing your time and money. Quality
tends to vary widely!

HTH,
    Darryl Johnson                    Darryl.Johnson at nlc-bnc.ca
    National Library of Canada