Sonified Library Web Pages

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Wed Jul 5 13:24:33 EDT 2000

                                                   _Sonified Library Web Pages_

   This past weekend, _The Computer Chronicles_ profiled a most interesting Web feature offered by Beatnik (formerly HeadSpace) [http://www.beatnik.com/ ] called interactive audio technology. "Beatnik's technology weaves CD-quality music and sound directly into HTML code "turning on" music sound clips when users click on or pass over images on a Web site.' A free player, available from its site, is required to utilize the technology.

  Good examples of applications of Beatnik are available at

                                   [ http://www.beatnik.com/software/beginners.html ]

NB: You must have installed the player and  of course have speakers or ear-phones [:-)]

     As one who recognizes the potential of sound for enhanced "sensory information navigation" I am pleased to learn about  Beatnik and see/hear great potential for its use in augmenting/facilitating the use of library Web pages
[e.g., the use of audio clips to create a sonic information space for a library web page,  to provide audio clues about content, to offer detailed audio profiles of services, etc.).

   In thinking about these possibilities, I am curious to know if any library presently makes use of Beatnik  (or other audio technology) on its Web pages. I would be interested in knowing about the specific uses, as well as user reaction.

   As Always, Any and All Comments, Queries, Contributions, etc. would be Most Welcome including Speculation of other Library Applications!

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

                                              "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Sonify It!"
                                                                                 With apologies to Alan Kay

BTW:
I have a Web clearinghouse devoted to Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases
called "The Next WAVe(sm) at:

                          [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Wave.htm ]

[ In that it is summer you must check out its hotlinks to Beach Boys audio clips! Don't forget your surfboard!][:-)]