Seeking implementors of registered keywords/jumpwords

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Wed Jul 5 11:51:14 EDT 2000

Back 1993 or so I came up with an idea for "jumpwords" -- registered
keywords that a user might enter to quickly jump to a commonly-desired,
official Web page.  We never implemented it.  Others have.

So, I'm trying to locate sites -- libraries, or perhaps main campus Web
sites -- that offer some sort of registered keyword component.
There are two ways of approaching this:

-- A registered, unique keyword -- registered in order of
first come first serve, or editorially chosen, but unique.
Thus the hit list returns no more than one registered keyword.
This is analogous to how keywords work on America Online.

...or...

-- A mini search engine or catalog search function covers abstracts of all
registered sites; more than one hit is possible.  This is analogous to how
keywords work on GoTo.com.

To give an example, on our campus we have a performing arts
center (Wharton Center) and a basketball arena (Breslin Center).

If we implemented the first approach, a search for "Wharton" would
yield only the official page for Wharton Center.  A search
for "Breslin" would yield only Breslin.  A search for "Center"
would probably be meaningless, because we wouldn't register
such a general keyword.

If we implemented the second approach, a search for "Wharton" might
yield a dozen hits or more -- any registered page whose abstract
mentions Wharton Center.  Ditto for Breslin.  A search for
"Center" might yield dozens of hits -- one for each registered
page with the word "center" in it (and our campus, like most,
has lots of instances of "Center for the Study of ....")

There are advantages to both schemes.  I am partial to the first
one.  It allows information providers to advertise their
unique keyword in print and other references.  This is why many advertisers
say "AOL Keyword: Saturn" and such. Far simpler than
giving out a URL in many cases.

Please send me private mail if you don't want to post to the list. Thanks!

/rich

Richard Wiggins
Consulting, Writing & Training on Internet Topics
www.netfact.com/rww         wiggins at mail.com
517-349-6919 (home office)  517-353-4955 (work)