No subject

swestman at mai105as1.lib.ohio-state.edu swestman at mai105as1.lib.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jul 6 11:28:57 EDT 2000

Now that the "frontier days" of library web site creation have passed,
many libraries are redesigning the web site that has become an integral
part of their service mission. Library web site designers are faced with
many issues: effectively serving library users who are more sophisticated
and have higher expectations, as well as those who have had limited
exposure to the Internet; creating a gateway to electronic resources;
providing user instruction; complying with the Americans with Disabilities
Act (ADA) that requires libraries to provide equal access for patrons to
electronic resources as well as to physical collections and equipment.

Please join the Internet Resources Interest Group of LITA as we explore
these issues as part of our 2000 Annual Program, "Library Web Sites: The
Next Generation" on Monday, July 10, 2000 from 9:30 am-12:00 noon in MCC
(McCormick Place) S104 where a panel of six experts will discuss designing
and maintaining effective, usable, and accessible library Web sites:

     Stu Baker (Northwestern University) - "Rethinking and Reworking the Web at
	 Northwestern University              Library"
     Carol Casey (University of Southwestern Louisiana) will discuss web
	site accessibility issues
     Angi Faiks and Martha Walker (both from Cornell University) - "Creating
	an Online Help System in a Gateway Environment"
     Helene Blowers (Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County) -
	"Extending Traditional Library Roles on the WWW"
     Susan McMullen (Roger Williams University Library) - "Redesigning
	Library Web Pages for Usability"

After the program, the Interest Group will be having its business
meeting.  During that meeting we will be discussing our 2001 program,
which is tentatively entitled "Messages in Many Bottles: Cooperative
Collection Development of Web Resources".

We look forward to seeing you there!

Stephen R. Westman
Digital Resources Systems Administrator
Ohio State University Libraries