DTD for journal articles?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sat Jan 29 10:35:20 EST 2000

Is there (or is anyone working on) a standard XML DTD for scholarly journal
articles?  My particular interest is in markup for the citation and
abstract, but I'd also be interested in DTDs that provide for full text.

I ask because the OhioLINK Electronic Journal Center currently incorporates
journals from large commercial publishers, all of whom have their own
in-house DTDs (usually SGML, and usually restricted to their own journals by
copyright or license agreements).  We have started talking with some smaller
publishers that put out only one or two titles each, and some of them are
looking for guidance on how to mark up their data.  We could put together a
DTD that meets our purposes, but I don't want to duplicate someone else's
efforts if they're creating an open standard.

BTW, regarding open source: given how the field of bibliographic management
software is gravitating toward an ISI monopoly, I think a really slick open
source citation manager--perhaps using a family of DTDs like the one I'm
looking for here--would have a relatively easy path toward acceptance and
adoption.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu