[WEB4LIB] XHTML 1.0

Peter C. Gorman pgorman at library.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 27 12:37:58 EST 2000

Gee, what are the implications of this for all those articles and
presentations that start "XML is better than HTML because..."? That
always sounds to me like they're saying "fruit is better than oranges
because...".

At 7:38 AM -0800 1/27/00, Roy Tennant wrote:
>XHTML (The Extensible HyperText Markup Language) has been released as a
>W3C Recommendation. The subitle of the page at:
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
>
>says "A Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0". More specifically, "It is
>intended to be used as a language for content that is both XML-conforming
>and, if some simple guidelines are followed, operates in HTML 4 conforming
>user agents." Am I going to run out and start coding XHTML documents? No,
>not yet. Am I going to watch it with interest, until I become bored or
>have better things to do? Yep. I'd be interested to know what other, more
>perceptive, Web4Lib readers think. Thanks,
>Roy Tennant

Peter C. Gorman
Senior Technology Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Library Technology Group
pgorman at library.wisc.edu
(608) 265-5291

What's the difference between fiddle players and government bonds?
Government bonds eventually mature and earn money.