[WEB4LIB] Moldy old servers

Brian Kelly lisbk at ukoln.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 10:12:36 EST 2000

Hi Thomas
      These figures are very interesting.  Have you thought of
documenting them to preserve a snapshot, to help spot any trends?
      We have been involved in such work at UKOLN, monitoring trends
across UK University (and more recently public library) communities.
      For example we've looked at trends in the use of search engines -
see latest figures at
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/surveys/uk-he-search-engines/survey-jan
2000.html
    We've noticed similar areas of concern e.g. use of very dated
software, software which is no longer available (migration problems if
it stops working), software with security concerns, etc.
     Note that in your list of problems with continued use of old
versions of server software you should add lack of HTTP/1.1 support and
poor support for caching - which adversely affects the network and
should be a concern for everyone.

Brian
Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  b.kelly at ukoln.ac.uk     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Homepage: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/b.kelly.html
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838