packet sniffing by the unauthorized

Mark Ellis mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca
Wed Jan 26 13:54:37 EST 2000

John,

Look under "Security" in your hub or switch manual.  Hubs can often be
configured to scramble frames sent to devices other than that set in the
frame's destination address.  Packet sniffers will only be able to see
broadcast traffic this way--not logins, etc.

Some devices also allow you to specify a list of permitted MAC addresses, so
only machines you designate will have access to the network. This involves
more effort, particularly if your moving machines around a lot, but it will
prevent library users from using their machines on your network.