[WEB4LIB] Lynx doesn't work

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jan 25 08:39:35 EST 2000

> Dear Web4Libbers,
>
> I am trying to use Lynx from a PC running Win98. I have set a shortcut
on
> the desktop, but each time I try to run the program appears the string:
> "Looking up DOS first". Then the program stops working.
>
> This problem seems not to occur if I open Lynx from the DOS windows.
>
> Any suggestion?

It sounds like Lynx is trying to open a site named DOS.  I believe that
Lynx is not entirely comfortable with DOS/Windows pathnames and doesn't
like to be called from another directory.  Under NT, I've had problems
making a shortcut to lynx.exe and instead my shortcut points to lynx.bat:

  @echo off
  d:
  cd  "\program files\lynx"
  set lynx_cfg=d:\program files\lynx\lynx.cfg
  lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu