[WEB4LIB] Proxy Server vs. URL Rewriter for Authentication

Tim Bucknall tim_bucknall at uncg.edu
Mon Jan 24 10:00:21 EST 2000

 At UNCG, we used a proxy server (MS Proxy) for about 9
 months. A lot of people had trouble with the browser
 reconfiguration and the Reference Dept was going crazy
 trying to provide support. So we decided to migrate to EZ
 Proxy a couple of months ago so that we could eliminate
the  browser reconfig. We've been very happy with EZ Proxy
 overall, but there is one significant issue.

 You must enter EVERY unique URL that you directly link to
 (and for which you want to provide validation via EZ
Proxy) in a config file. This works OK for databases, but
isn't really practical for linking directly to the title
level for ejournals. For example, if we wanted to link
directly to thousands of Lexis-Nexis titles, then each
would have unique URL and we'd have to enter thousands of
URL's in the EZ Proxy config. With a regular proxy server,
you don't have this problem becuase you can simply enter a
single domain like lexis-nexis.com

 But, in our experience, the shortcoming regarding
ejournals is more than made up for by the elimination of
client-side browser configuration. We consider our EZ Proxy
 implementation a success.

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:12:25 -0800 (PST) Sherry Crowther
> <sherry.crowther at rdc.ab.ca> wrote:
>

> > Hi - We are planning to offer remote access to our web databases and
> > I'm trying to decide between setting up a proxy server or using the
> > EZproxy URL Rewriter product.  I've already received some glowing
> > recommendations of EZproxy from members of this list, thanks.
> >
> > Before we proceed, I'd like to ask, what are the advantages of using a
> > proxy server over EZproxy?
> >
> > I'd appreciate any help you can provide, thank you!

> > Sherry Crowther
> > Web Services Librarian
> > Red Deer College
> > Alberta, Canada