[WEB4LIB] AskJeeves competitors

Greg Notess align at montana.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:01:36 EST 2000

	One similar approach is going to be offered by Fact City <http://www.factcity.com/>. See yesterday's article about Fact City and its offerings at <http://www.digitalmass.com/columns/internet/0119.html>.
	As an interesting side note, the reporter mentions Fact City's answer to the question "What is the population of Boston?" It gives  574,283 with the source being the 1990 Census. I tried the same question on Ask Jeeves and got the same answer.
	Now, if someone asks me that question at the reference desk and I offer them 1990 figures, they always ask for something more recent.  That's why I go straight to the Census Bureau's site which has population estimate at
<http://www.census.gov/population/estimates/metro-city/scts/SC98T_MA-DR.txt>
which gives 555,447 for Boston city as of 7/1/98.

+  Greg R. Notess, Reference Librarian  <http://notess.com>
+  Montana State University     	greg at notess.com
+  Search Engine Showdown <http://searchengineshowdown.com>
+   Internet columnist for Online and EContent
+   Author of "Government Information on the Internet"
+