[WEB4LIB] CD emergency disk?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Jan 20 11:19:05 EST 2000

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but it appears that all Dells come
with Z2.bat, ZZTOP.bat, and ZZ.exe.  These are hidden files in the root
directory of drive C.  The batch files make use of the zz.exe file which
can check the integrity of an image file on the computer and/or restore
it.  The image file is an image of the harddrive aa shipped by the
factory.  So if you can even boot from floppy and the hard drive is
accessible, you can run zztop.bat which gives you a menu to check the
integrity of the disk image or restore image to what it was like when
you received it from the factory.

At least this is the case with all Dells I received since early last
year and the batch file is dated 98 in comments in the file.
You might be able to use their zz.exe program to create your own image
and restore from CD, I suggest you contact Dell tech support to find out
about that.  I've found Dell tech support to be very helpful.

Thomas

"Gary E. Masters" wrote:

> I have been thinking about this for some time now, but have no firm
> conclusions.  Is it possible to write a CD with files from a computer that
> will allow one to boot from the CD and restore all of its operating system
> (Windows of one flavor or the other)?  Has anyone done it?  I know some
> computers come with an "emergency" CD, but we use Dell units and they
> don't.  We do have a CD write drive and Easy CD Creator 4.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Masters
>
> Gary E. Masters
> Automated Services Librarian
> (956) 326-2137 (office)
> (956)326-2399
> (fax)

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine