[WEB4LIB] Mac vs. PC and Linux

atroncale atroncale at nypl.org
Tue Jan 18 10:18:06 EST 2000

     I for one would be interested in knowing how many institutions are
     using Macs for their in-house image capture facilities and your
     reasons for doing so. NYPL is generally a PC shop but we have begun to
     use Macs for image capture because of their superior color management
     capabilities. We also have at least one PC capture station.

     But getting PCs and Macs to talk to each other has resulted in some
     nasty 'arguments'. Would a Linux box as a post-processor mediate this
     situation or exacerbate it? Perhaps a software program? Suggestions?
     My solution for now is to segregate the two to keep the family happy.

     Thanks

     Anthony Troncale
     New York Public Library