proxy servers and authentication

spober at manhattan.edu spober at manhattan.edu
Sun Jan 16 14:28:13 EST 2000

web4lib at webjunction.org wrote:

>                             WEB4LIB Digest 1698
>
> Topics covered in this issue include:
>
>   1) THIS WEEK ON LJDIGITAL, JANUARY 17, 2000 -->
>         by "Bowers, Stacey (Cahners-NYC)" <stbowers at lj.cahners.com>
>   2) Cyberpatrol
>         by Ruth Hartman - Ventura County Library <rhartman at rain.org>
>   3) proxy servers and authentication
>         by Linda Herman <lherman at medaille.edu>
>   4) Weird Perl problem solved
>         by Dan Lester <dan at 84.com>
>   5) Mac resurgence
>         by Roy Tennant <rtennant at library.berkeley.edu>
>   6) Re: Mac resurgence
>         by CBailey512 at aol.com
>   7) Web4Lib Frequently Asked Questions List Jan 15
>         by Thomas Dowling <tdowling at ohiolink.edu>
>   8) help with getting pages to load in frames
>         by "Yvonne Reynolds" <Reynolds at nbict.nbi.ac.za>

> Topic No. 1
>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:03:59 -0500
> From: "Bowers, Stacey (Cahners-NYC)" <stbowers at lj.cahners.com>
> To: "'web4lib at webjunction.org'" <web4lib at webjunction.org>,
> Subject: THIS WEEK ON LJDIGITAL, JANUARY 17, 2000 -->
>
> THIS WEEK ON LJDIGITAL, JANUARY 17, 2000 -->
> http://www.libraryjournal.com
>
> NEWS -->
> netLibrary Donating 150,000 eBooks to 100 top PLs
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000117_13206.asp
>
> County of Los Angeles Public Library Forced to Filter
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000117_13205.asp
>
> Furman University Library Receives $9.5 Million Gift
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000117_13204.asp
>
> Patron Bequeaths Cumberland County $400K
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000117_13203.asp
>
> ingenta Buys CARL Corp.'s UnCover Operation
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000117_13202.asp
>
> Central Arkansas Library System Attendance Rising
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000117_13201.asp
>
> NEH Awards Seattle PL $500K Challenge Grant
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000117_13200.asp
>
> INFOTECH NEWS -->
> Sagebrush Corp. Buys Winnebago Software
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/infotech/news/infotechindex.asp
>
> BOOK NEWS -->
> Seafaring Novelist Patrick O'Brian Dead at 85
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/books/booknews/booknewsindex.asp
>
> CLASSIC RETURNS -->
> A chronicle of the victory of British General Wolfe over French
> adversary General Montcalm in 1759.
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/books/classicreturns/classicreturnsindex.a
> sp
>
> ALSO ON LJDIGITAL -->
>
> ALA MIDWINTER PREVIEW
> Old Issues, New Battles
> Perennial issues pack the agenda of the American Library
> Association (ALA) Midwinter Meeting in San Antonio.
> http://www.ljdigital.com/articles/news/thisweek/20000101_13144.asp
>
> EDITORIAL
> Demand Our Credential at ALA
> It's time to put up or shut up about the MLS
> [...]

We use and are very satisfied with EZProxy from Useful Utilities.
Easy to set up, works smoothly and does not require any 'proxy server'
setup from the patron.  The way we have it set up, the proxy server
address is embedded into the URL for the restricted database.  The
server looks at the incoming connection and checks to see whether
it is an on-campus (allowed) or off-campus IP address.

If it's an on campus address, the user's connection goes through
without interruption.  If it's off-campus, the user is prompted for
their
barcode number (we chose to use just the barcode numbers, but could have
used both name and barcode number or other types of login/password
combinations.)  For more information look at the vendor's website:
http://www.usefulutilities.com

We did look around a bit before getting this product. Some of the
competing software is much more expensive.

Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist
Manhattan College Libraries
spober at manhattan.edu