help with getting pages to load in frames

Yvonne Reynolds Reynolds at nbict.nbi.ac.za
Sat Jan 15 09:27:21 EST 2000

Hi,
Could anyone please help me with a bit of code to get pages to load in frames.
It seems easy enough if one has just two frames a "menu" frame and a "main frame".  One  uses the target element, but what happens if one has 3 frames - a "top" frame which contains a highlevel menu and then a left "menu" frame  and "main" frame.
On clicking an option in the top frame one wants 2 pages to load- one to the menu frame and one to the main frame.  How does one specify  this?

I am also puzzled about how one would  get pages to load into a frameset from another page, without saving those pages initially as part of the frameset.  For example if you did not have a frameset on a home page, but wanted to open all other pages in a frameset which had 3 frames as described above.  How does one specify that on clicking a  option on the homepage, the standard frameset should load with 3 specific pages in the frames, these pages would vary depending on what option was clicked on the home page.

One could get around this by creating a separate frameset for each option, but isn't there a more elegant solution?

Would this solution work in older browsers?  Or is it safer to save each option as a separate frameset?

Thank you for any help and advice.
Yvonne

Yvonne Reynolds
Web site Manager/ Librarian