search engine capable of highlighting

Barbara Stewart stew at library.umass.edu
Thu Jan 13 09:17:04 EST 2000

I am interested in knowing whether a search engine exists that highlights
keywords in the document that it is searching. I know that Google
highlights the key words in a short abstract, and this is useful, but it
is very time intensive to visually search through long documents for your
particular keyword requested. I took part in a study about a year ago
where keywords of requested texts were color coded separately in the text
- and found this incredibly useful. For example, if you were searching for
+antique +bottles +"new england", when you went to the text retrieved,
+antique would appear highlighted in red, +bottles would appear
highlighted in green, and +"new england" would appear in yellow.
Not only was this useful to judge relevancy of a document almost
immediately, it saved much time because you could see'groupings' at a
glance. So if you were more interested in the +bottles aspect of things,
you would just search for documents with lots of green highlights, and
skip over those documents that were predominantly yellow highlighted. Does
this exist anywhere currently?

Thanks much,

Barbara Stewart
Latin American Cataloger