[WEB4LIB] Everything on library public terminals

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 12 16:51:01 EST 2000

Sorry not to reply sooner, but Library HiTech, v.16 No.4 (1998)
contains several articles describing our experience in providing
"everything from everywhere" - philosophy, process, and technical
details. Hope you find it useful.

At 8:00 PM -0800 1/4/00, Jay Smith wrote:
>The San Mateo County Library System is considering making
>all computer services (library catalog, magazine index,
>internet, etc.) available to the public on all public
>terminals, i.e, "everything on every public terminal."  At
>present we restrict terminals to specific functions.  Some
>terminals provide only the library book catalog and magazine
>index, other terminals provide only internet access, and
>others make available just CD-ROM products.
>
>We're interested in the experiences and musings of libraries
>which do not restrict computer terminals in this way.  What's
>your experience providing access to all services through all
>terminals? Do internet users hog the terminals?  Do catalog
>users get into fist fights with Internet junkies who call
>the catalog users Luddites?

Peter C. Gorman
Senior Technology Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Library Technology Group
pgorman at library.wisc.edu
(608) 265-5291

What's the difference between fiddle players and government bonds?
Government bonds eventually mature and earn money.