Per capita budget figures

Peter Jorgensen peterj at rand.lcl.lib.ne.us
Mon Jan 10 17:49:12 EST 2000

Can anyone provide some figures on what their budget for electronic
media (and especially for Web-based resources, if it's broken out that
way) is on a per capita basis?  I'm particularly interested in libraries
more or less comparable to ours (public library serving a total
population of about 230,000), but any figures would be helpful.

I've had to explain to sales reps for a number of online resources that
the prices they quote me are as much as twice my *total* annual budget
for *all* electronic media, and they always seem very surprised that we
can't afford their products (they also seem surprised that we can't just
move money from some other part of the budget, but that's another
matter).  BTW, in some cases, the quoted prices already take into account
a discount for being part of a state-wide consortium purchase.

TIA for any information you can provide.

Peter Jorgensen
Reference Department, Lincoln City Libraries
Lincoln, Nebraska
peterj at rand.lcl.lib.ne.us