How to ration limited resource? E - mail is an example

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Fri Jan 7 09:29:21 EST 2000

Of course the e - mail tax is a myth.  But there is enough pressure that it
may be real in the future.

I did a paper some time ago when in library school and had many quotes
about the limits of library service.  My professor told me that perhaps it
could be published and she would let me know when.  Am still waiting, but
not holding my breath.  So, I don't have a copy.  But one quote was from
the 1800's and the librarian was saying (in so many words) "They line up
and want in the library, but I just laugh at them."  This was at a land
grant college with limited hours.  Also, a librarian at a major library was
asked how he was in passing on the street.  "Fine, I have all of the books
back in the library except three, and I know where they are."  In those
days there was an inventory every year and the librarian was billed for all
missing books.  I wonder how our security would be now if that were still
the case.

I personally am offended by what seems a smug decision about what is and
what is not reasonable in a library.  I thought I read "e - mail is not a
leisure activity."  But there are limits to resources and we do have to
enforce them.  My question is "What is the best way to limit scarce
resources?"  Are we sure that we have the best way to formulate these
limits?  Suggestions?

I favor votes or user surveys.  Certainly there are other and better ways.

Gary E. Masters
Automated Services Librarian
(956) 326-2137 (office)
(956)326-2399