VERY strange Perl problem

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Jan 6 14:35:33 EST 2000

For those on perl4lib, you've already seen essentially the same
posting.  But, I'm hoping that someone here can come up with ideas too......

We run a remote user authentication system (described at
http://www.84.com/authentication.htm in case you care).  Web server is on
NT4SP5.  Integrated library system is on Geac Advance, on Sun Solaris.  The
authentication system has worked fine until last week.  I know we all hear
other users say it all the time, but as far as we can tell, nothing changed
on Wed 29th (thus indicating not a y2k issue).  I can personally verify
that on that day the NT box was doing nothing but serving a few web pages,
and none of the three of us who has physical and remote access to it
touched it during the two hour period when it failed.  (Last successful
authentication at 0750, first complaint from off campus sent at about
1020).  Geac wasn't doing anything to our system.  Neither were
we.  Nothing but user logins, none of whom have anything close to root
access.  The Geac box was just humming away with folks cataloging,
searching the catalog, etc.

I've looked at this.  So has Andy (my son, a professional Perl geek for a
library software firm).  So has a local Perl geek (well, semi-geek, best we
have on campus).  So have several folks at Geac.  I am not interested in
finger pointing or blaming, just getting it fixed.  All that being said,
here is what happens.

The NT Perl script (latest ActiveState, plus net::telnet.pm) takes input
from a form page, telnets to Geac box (across the room), logs in, grabs the
patron record for the ID number provided, logs off telnet, compares the
patron record with provided data, and either redirects user to remote site
or sends an error message.    At least that is what it is supposed to do.

Now the script telnets to the Geac box, gets two blank lines, the line
saying "Unix System V [etc, etc]" and three blank lines.  There is no
"login: " line returned.  This determined by having the script log the
input.  However, if you telnet with standard MS telnet to the Geac box you
get the login prompt and can log in.  Both behaviors have been replicated
on three different machines (Win98, WinNT, Win2000).

We can't even imagine why "telnet isn't telnet", or what would cause it to
break.  We've tried two different versions of telnet.pm, reinstalled
ActiveState Perl, etc, etc.  Nothing changes it.  My suspicion is that it
is on the Geac box, but.....we're currently in a state of some
fingerpointing....not hostile, just each imagining it can't be THEIR
problem.  o-)

ANY clues or suggestions appreciated.  And, if you're so inclined, and can
convince me that you're a nice, trustworthy library geek, I'll gladly
provide access to you for either box.  I'll also be glad to do some phone
based debugging with you on my nickel.  Just give me a number.

Feel free to reply on or off list.  On list might be better in general,
just to share the ideas.   Off list for getting access to the boxes involved.

I'm really getting tired of irate patrons....who one would hope would
something else to do over semester break.  o-)

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165