BASIL (Baltimore Area Systems and Internet Librarians)

Stephen M Jones stjones at umbc.edu
Thu Jan 6 13:24:50 EST 2000

Cross posted to syslib-l.  My apologies for any duplication.

I would like to propose the establishment of BASIL, the Baltimore Area
Systems and Internet Librarians.  It's purpose, as I envision it, would be
to provide Baltimore area systems librarians and webmasters (whether MLS
holders or not) a venue for information exchange and professional
development.  We might also want to drink some beer together (not required
for membership).  Some months ago Scott Stevens started an interesting
discussion on syslib-l of what it is that a person trained as a librarian
brings to systems work (which in turn included discussions of what people
not trained as librarians bring to library systems work).  It was an
interesting discussion.

I could hold the first meeting here at UMBC (no beer).  But I'd like to know
first if there is anyone other than my good self who would be interested in
this.  Please feel free to forward this email to anyone working in library
systems or webmastering, and ask them to contact me if interested.

Regards.

Steve Jones
stjones at umbc.edu
Mgr., Library Computing Services