[WEB4LIB] RE: Restricting launches to IP-restricted licensed web services

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Jan 6 12:05:28 EST 2000

At 08:35 AM 1/6/00 -0800, Margaret Handrow wrote:

>This is an interesting question.  We also provide licensed services for
>our patrons.  The license agreements that we have generally specify in
>house use only.  We have gotten around this for our remote accessing
>patrons by having them dial into a computer server that "talks" to the
>internet server.  The dialed in computer's IP address is recognized by the
>licensed service as being "in house".

This is done by many academic institutions, though I'm sure is less common
in public libraries.  However, the provision of "off campus" or "out of the
building" access is forbidden in some contracts.  Other vendors will permit
such access if you pay an additional fee.  It is certainly possible that
you're violating some contracts with some vendors.  Your method of
providing the access does NOT eliminate the violation.   As always, I'm
not, thank goodness, an attorney, and do not play one on TV.

Do I think the "database police" will come knocking on your door?  Probably
not.....but a number of vendors do lurk on this list.....

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165