PC Cloning Software

Dale E. Goodell goodeld at wou.edu
Wed Jan 5 19:36:36 EST 2000

I'm evaluating software used to "clone" computer configurations in our
Reference Room environment.

I currently use PCRDIST version 1.57, and have been happy with it for the
most part.  I've downloaded evaluation copies of PCRDIST version 2.02,
ImageCast 3 and LabExpert 4, but haven't worked with these in great detail
yet.

I have seen the latest version of Ghost in action in another lab on campus,
and was dissapointed with the fact that a boot floppy was needed, and that
the administrators had to visit every machine in order to clone an update.

I'm interested in hearing about other experiences with these various products.
Ultimately, it would be great to have a product that would allow me to clone
PC configuration changes remotely, without having to visit each machine.  I
have not successfully implemented this remote access approach using
PCRDIST 1.57.  Also, I would like to have each machine run a comparision
with the "master" each time they reboot; I have done this successfully with
PCRDIST 1.57.

Are there other programs that I should consider?  What experience have
others on this list had with this type of software?

Dale E. Goodell
Information Technology Consultant
Computer Support Unit
Western Oregon University Library