Outgoing Netscape mail and SMTP server

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Tue Jan 4 19:35:28 EST 2000

Here's the setup:  Our public computers have security software on them.
Part of the reason we do this is to prevent people from changing the
Netscape preferences to get their pop mail (though they can still get
email through webmail servers.

However, we do have these computers set up to allow outgoing mail from
our standard library account.  This is so people can mail themselves
pages from databases and from other Internet sites that don't provide
convenient 'email results' links.

The problem is that the computer center recently changed their SMTP
server to require passwords.  We can hand out the password for this
account (it does not have any incoming email service), but that's rather
clumsy.  There doesn't seem to be any way to get Netscape to remember
the email password from one session to the next - it requires the
password for the first outgoing message in a session.

I would like to avoid the hassle of having to hand out a password to all
of our users.  Is there a way to get Netscape 4.61 to remember the
password for the outgoing server?  I tried setting up the preferences
so  that the smtp server was also listed as the incoming server (the
only place I could find with a "save password" option) but that doesn't
do it.

And if this is not the way to go about it, how big a deal is it to set
up a SMTP server?  And can someone point me to some E-Z directions on
how to do it?

Incidentally, I've noticed that we are only required to put in a
password for outgoing email on our Netscape 4 computers.  For some
reason, those computers still running Netscape 3.04 have had no problems
sending mail out with the new server and no password is required for
them.

TIA,
--
Stacy Pober, Information Alchemist