Everything on library public terminals: Serious Researchers Versus Internet Junkies

Donald Barclay donaldb at library.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 5 10:08:39 EST 2000

Just as it is impossible to be on both sides in a war, it is impossible to
be both a serious researcher and a recreational user of the Internet (that
is, someone who uses email or chat, views entertainment websites, etc.).

For this reason, in our library every user who walks in the door is required
to fill out a complete socio-psychological profile. Based on the results of
this profile, the user is given either a blue headband that reads "Serious
Researcher" or a red one that reads "Internet Junkie." Patrons are required
to wear these headbands while in the library. The nice thing is that the
headbands are implanted with electrodes so that if, for example, an Internet
junkie is sitting at a workstation that  is needed by a serious researcher,
one of our roving "Storm Librarians" can deliver a remote-controlled shock
that knocks the Internet junkie out of his seat without (in most cases)
producing a lethal outcome. At first we had to shock Internet junkies all
the time, but now we find that the "red banders" largely give our
workstations a wide berth. About the only time we shock anyone now is when
we catch a serious researcher accidentally wandering onto some frivolous
website that we've included on our Index of Prohibited Websites--a
leather-bound elephant folio that we keep behind the reference desk.

We originally tried a system where Internet junkies wore stars on their
bellies and serious researchers did not, but we find the headbands provide
better contact between skin and electrode. Eventually, we hope to have two
separate libraries, one for serious researchers and another for Internet
junkies. The latter library will contain only print materials and one
Commodore 64 (without a modem).

Hope this is helpful.

Donald A. Barclay
Houston Academy of Medicine-       always the beautiful answer
Texas Medical Center Library           who asks the more beautiful question
donaldb at library.tmc.edu                                   -- e. e. cummings