Why IP restrict at all?

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Wed Jan 5 08:19:01 EST 2000

Sometimes I wonder why these databases are so well protected.  Perhaps I am
wrong, but there does not seem to be that much demand.  Perhaps if they
were made available to all who wanted to use them two things could
happen.  (1) Many more users with different sets of standards may cause an
interface improvement.  (2) If it is necessary to charge, the base could be
large enough to lower prices for individual users or even allow support
from other sources (grants or such.).  Perhaps some discussion on this will
allow other points of view to surface.   If they don't open it up and get a
lot of use, they may well be replaced by some other source with a good
interface and no charges.

Regards,

Gary Masters
Gary E. Masters