Signatures, Authentication, Privacy, and Karen Coyle: LITA SSS-IG at ALA

Tom Klingler tk at kent.edu
Sun Jan 2 16:37:37 EST 2000

1-2-2000

On Monday, January 17, 2000,  from 9:30--11:00 a.m.,  in the Gunter
Hotel,  Bluebonnet Room, the LITA SSS-IG (Secure Systems & Services
Interest Group) will conduct its regular business meeting.
ALL INTERESTED PARTIES ARE WELCOME.

Our AGENDA:

1. Karen Coyle, of the University  of California,  Office of the
President, will present an informal update:

"Digital Signatures,  Authentication and Privacy: an update on some recent
developments and their potential effect on libraries and library users."

Potential changes to the Uniform Commercial Code, combined with state and
federal digital signature legislation, are muddying the authentication and
privacy waters. Karen Coyle will give a brief update and will outline some
of the concerns of privacy advocates and library organizations regarding
these developments.

2.  Karen will also be discussing with the IG the potential of  group
authorship of  a LITA monograph on authentication.....promises to be
interesting....

3.   We'll work on future programming, especially our program planned
for 2000Annual in Chicago:  "Distributed Authentication
Architectures," co-sponsored with the LITA Distributed Systems IG.

It promises to be an interesting meeting.  Please feel free to attend!

Tom Klingler
Head of Systems
Libraries & Media Services
Kent State University
Kent, OH.
U.S.A.
44242-0001
330-890-0067 (pager/voicemail)
330-672-2962 (x. 18)
330-672-4811  (fax)
tk at kent.edu
"...if we want to remain a big-league university,
we've got to have a big-league library."
--Joe Paterno, Penn State football coach