[WEB4LIB] re: of mouse balls and such

Hanan Cohen hanan at qglibrary.org.il
Sun Jan 2 14:56:14 EST 2000

Debra Lords wrote:

He replied, "Now that I've
> seen what it is doing, I think I can fix it.  Let me try one more
> thing."  He sat down and began a search in the database, using
> the same search strategy we had used.  The database functioned
> perfectly.

Please note that the manager said "one more thing" and not "the same as
you did". There must be a difference.

Here is a strategy I often use when software/hardware works for me (yes,
I am this type) but not for the user. It has two very close variants.
1. Stand by the user and tell hem/her to do exactly as you say and not
what he/she usualy does. The process brings out to light the difference
in the process.
2. Sit by the computer and ask the user to tell me what she/he is
exactly doing.

Most of the times it works. I have gained this experience from
programming. When I had a problem I would ask a co-worker to just listen
to my problem. When I tell the story aloud, I hear the problem myself
because I don't' make mental shortcuts. The co-worker don't have to do
anything, just listen.

Good luck

--
Hanan Cohen