[WEB4LIB] Predictions for the next...

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Sat Jan 1 13:04:51 EST 2000

It will not be technology leading the way.  In many cases it will be copyright
and legal problems, not to mention economics.  Who will pay?  Libraries will
have value as they help people share expensive resources.  That will be
special electronic equipment in a few cases (who wants to own a plotter to
print a few maps?) but in most cases it will be the skilled Librarian who can
do what others don't want to learn to do or bother to do.

But the technology will seen very good from our perspective.  Given enough
bandwidth, you can be virtually anywhere or retrieve any information.  Hence
the virtual vacation if you want to "see" things.  With the right interface,
information retrieval will be like touring.  But smart "agents" may take much
of the day to day seeking away from us.  Perhaps the real question will be
"What do we want to do when we grow up?"

Key occupations will be those not replaced by technology.  But we may prefer
people in many jobs that could be automated.   Arthur Clark says he likes to
show possible futures and not predict.

Our first job should be to solve many of the problems created by population
growth and technology - which we call pollution.  Once that is done and we
have a stable environment, it ought to be fun.

Stay healthy for the next ten years and you may have much less to be concerned
with.

So, if we do reference in a library it will be more about knowing where to
look for what people want to find.  Sometimes we will teach others to fish and
other times we will serve up fish dinners. So, the more things change - the
more they stay the same.

As ever.

Regards,

Gary Masters