[WEB4LIB] Re: Predictions for the next...

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Tue Jan 4 14:11:01 EST 2000

I offer my predictions, or maybe they're just a wish list, for the next
year, some serious, some whimsical...

1. The advanced, "fuzzy" search technology blossoming on the Internet will be
applied to library OPACs.

2. HP will produce a good and reliable Windows printer driver for a new
printer.

3. GUI interfaces will NOT replace character (telnet) interfaces completely,
so I'll still be able to sell my products.

4. We'll come up with an easy way to print spine labels on laser printers.

5. The library community will embrace Unicode for dealing with non-Latin
character sets and diacritics.

6. Flat LCD monitors will become cost effective, saving tremendous amounts of
desk space.

7. Mice with no moving parts will end the problem of disappearing mouse balls,
and the budget for Super Glue will be drastically reduced.

8. Wireless handheld devices (such as the Palm VII) will become important
search tools in the library.

9. More libraries will become more effective in serving their
non-English-speaking patrons.

10. Somebody will help me convert my EACC/CCCII specifications (ISO Z39.64)
from microfiche to CDROM.

Happy New Epoch!

--
Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760