[WEB4LIB] re: of mouse balls and such

Jennifer Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Mon Jan 3 19:36:35 EST 2000

> PS. Graphical interfaces (yes, even ones that translate horizontal movement
> to a vertical plane) ARE intuitive to a generation that grew up on video
> games (the generation that happens to be designing computer interfaces).
> How do you think we managed to kill all those space invaders and help PacMan
> escape the monsters?  It came as quite a revelation to me when I discovered
> that the whole desktop/icon/mouse "thing" was confusing to people, though
> I'll take a command prompt any day.

*laugh* as a member of the 'Nintendo generation' I often point out that
those who are used to seeing tasks as something that one experiments
with, tries several approaches, pushes buttons and jumps up and down in
order to succeed at... generally have better luck than those members of
the TV generation that expect to 'tune to the right channel [out of 13]'
and get their information piped to them.
--
/   Jennifer Heise, Web Mgmnt, Lehigh Univ. Information Resources
\ \ Linderman Library, 30 Library Drive, Bethlehem PA 18015
  / Phone (610) 758-3072          Email: jahb at lehigh.edu

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard