[WEB4LIB] Google ?

Danny Sullivan danny at calafia.com
Fri Feb 25 16:40:00 EST 2000

> I search the word madird in Google
> This a wronk Word: It correspond to: Madrid.
> Thet are near to 140 pages that contain madird
> The first one in Google is www.upm.es/centros/euitag.html
> Well! If you click in  I'm Feeling Lucky this page is the first
> It don't contain th word madrid.
> Only contain Madrid
> Can anyone explain how Googl works with I'm Feeling Lucky ?

Google doens't rank a page just because of the word on it. A page may also
rank highly for a search because of the words in and around links on OTHER
pages that point at it.

So in this case, if there are many people linking to that page and using the
word "madird," then it may be ranking well because of that, even though it
doesn't use the word itself but rather "madrid."

And Feeling Lucky just takes you automatically to the first page on Google's
results list.

cheers,
danny