Web Directory Management System

Paule Methe pmethe at kola.net
Fri Feb 25 12:25:10 EST 2000

Dear Sir, Madam:

I am looking for information on the design of a web content management
system. I did not find much information about this subject on the web,
so I thought I would try going right to the people working in the field.

I am a content and community manager at Kola. Our company is developing
a "Safe, Smart and Fun" internet service for kids and families. In the
process we are reviewing and selecting thousands of links for our site,
and we have developed a content management system, running on a
Microsoft Sequel 7 database, to collect and store information on all
these web sites.

We need to improve, redesign or change our system to add features such
as site rating, and improve it's indexing capability, particularly for
the educational sites, which we want to index by age group, subject
matter or other criteria. We are also looking for tools that will help
make the review and cataloguing  process more seamless and enable us to
import lists of URL's from the databases of content partners. I am
looking for suggestions or recommendations for existing software, good
design examples, or research papers to help us with this task.

Any information will be greatly appreciated,

Sincerely,

Paule Methe
Content and Community Manager
Kids On-Line America