[WEB4LIB] Another web-library metaphor

Walter W. Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Fri Feb 25 12:02:47 EST 2000

This reminds me of a quote from Rick Gates, of "The Great
Internet Hunt" fame (the old-timers on the list will recognize
the name immediately, I'm sure). I don't have the exact date of
this quote (it's pre-1995 at least), but here it is anyway

*****

"If the Net *is* a library, then it's adding a new wing today
(overnight), while removing another; and all the books at the
Reserve Desk are being moved to a new location; the online
catalog is being augmented by three new tools, (one of which is
free, one of which was written by the new person in Dept. A); the
entire phono disk collection just disappeared; any number of
users can simultaneously check out the latest issue of the
Journal of Obscure Chemistry; the Reference department works at
home now, and we just discovered 10,000 new books in a part of
the library that we
swear wasn't there yesterday. And tomorrow will be different..."

*****

If anyone *can* give me a source for this quote, I'd appreciate
it.

Walter Giesbrecht                               walterg at yorku.ca
Data Librarian                         (416) 736-2100 ext. 77551
York University                                         113Y SSB