Resetting the Home Page

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Feb 24 12:50:06 EST 2000

I've run across another security issue with Internet Explorer.  Some sites,
such as Excite, provide you the option of resetting your browser's home page
to their site.  If you grant the site permission to do so, it will replace
your default with their address.  This is fine and dandy for home users but
can be a real pain in a library setting.  To make the matter worse, our
security software disables access to the Internet Options section of the IE
toolbar so that "fixing" the home page requires disabling the security and 2
reboots - things I don't really need staff doing.  Does anyone have ideas on
how to "force" preferences in IE like you can do with the prefs.js in
Navigator so that the home page would revert to the "default" simply by
restarting the browser?

Thanks!!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician