"find in page" function

Barton Spencer jbspence at ocean.otr.usm.edu
Wed Feb 23 12:21:25 EST 2000

Hello,

I've searched the archive and haven't found a reference to my
particular situation. I would appreciate it if any of you could
share a suggestion.

One of our librarians needs to have a "find in page" function on
a framed set of web pages. He will have the transcript of an oral
history in the right frame, and wants to have a "find in page"
text box in the left frame. It would work exactly like the
browser's "find in page" feature, but would be located on the web
page itself.

I've seen a couple of javascript search tools that nearly do what
we want. However, they are quite browser specific and behave
oddly when the "wrong" browser is used.

The browsers we use will pull up the "find in page" function by
hitting CONTROL-F, and if there were some way to put a CONTROL-F
feature actually IN a web page, that would be perfect.

I hope the question makes sense! Thanks in advance for any help
that you can give us.

Sincerely,

Barton Spencer
Assistant to the Dean of Libraries