Dead gophers and other OBE'd technologies

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Feb 23 12:11:21 EST 2000

For my next Internet Librarian column, "1,001 Uses For A Dead Gopher," I'm
tackling a very, very serious topic--how to recycle dead technologies (OBE,
in the subject line, is an acronym that means "Overcome By Events").

Do you have new uses for the following dead, dying, or soon-to-be-OBE'd
technologies?  Do you have a favorite candidate for an OBE'd technology (and
what you would like to see happen to it...)?  If so, send your to me at
kgs at bluehighways.com no later than 12 noon EST Sunday, February 27, 2000.
Be sure to include your name, organization, city and state or country.

Preliminary Candidates for Recycling (some need to be exhumed to be
recycled... hey, if they could close Fresh Kills...)

CD-ROM databases (any day now...)
Microfilm readers (sure, we need some... but don't you think the herd needs
to be thinned?)
8-Track Tapes
5 1/4" disks
White-out (i.e., correction fluid)
Typewriters
Vinyl records
Gopher, veronica, and archie (I welcome any argument, however specious, that
gopher is still alive and kicking--the Last Living Gopher Page is something
I wish someone out there would pull together)
Vertical files

I would like to add that there was a serious omission from my last
article--the quote from Bart Simpson was graciously provided by Harry
Dutcher of Saratoga Springs Public Library, NY, who obviously just uses his
TV to catch up on a little PBS programming now and then.

Looking forward to your input!

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director of Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
http://www.shenpublib.org