Disabling restore in Full Screen

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Feb 23 11:03:18 EST 2000

[n.b. I sent this to another list last week, but thought perhaps some folks
on web4lib might
have some ideas.  Some other things that have occurred to me since then
include
disabling F11 (might accomplish what I'm trying to do) and the stray thought
that
if I can disable Alt-F4, the ability to disable restore must be available
too... there
are probably a million solutions, and I'm just drawing a massive blank.]

: For our web catalog workstations, I have configured them via NT policy to
: launch with IE5 as the desktop (using runapp) and in fullscreen mode.
: Alt-F4 has been disabled, and I left three buttons on the
toolbar--forward,
: back and stop.  This is a very appealing configuration for this purpose
: because it allows navigation but doesn't have the menu stuff.  Users will
: never print from these machines (they don't print from the old catalogs,
: either...) and it gives the bibliographic information a nice, full screen
: fill on these recycled 15" monitors.
:
: The only problem is that fullscreen can be disabled, either by hitting F11
: or by selecting "restore."
:
: I rejected "kiosk mode" (iexplore -k) for these machines because as far as
: could figure out, after testing it, too much has been eliminated from the
: kiosk version--I do want those three navigational buttons, which are very
: helpful for moving around in the catalog, plus the opportunity to add
others
: (who knows but we may have "Radio Free Shenendehowa" and broadcast news
from
: our catalog, at the click of a radio button... I wouldn't rule out
anything
: at this point).
:
: I could go with a very stripped-down browser, such as we will use for our
: database machines, but if possible I'd like to stay with this modified
full
: screen.  Of course, it's easy enough to restore fullscreen (toggle F11),
and it's
: possible to strip down the browser enough so when this happens we fear no
: calamitous patron behavior, but I-want-my-interface.
:
: So, without precluding other answers, I guess my questions are...
:
: * Can I force fullscreen in some way?
: * Can kiosk be configured more than I realize?
:
: Am I missing something terribly obvious?  I'm using adm files culled from
: various resource kits (IE, NT, Office, etc.) and could not find something
: force fullscreen.  I also searched http://www.jsiinc.com/ and the KB, just
: in case.
:
: Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
: Assistant Director of Technology
: Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
: http://www.shenpublib.org
:
: