specific request on HTML coding re: colour of underline in a table using background images

Susanne Baker bakers at gov.on.ca
Tue Feb 22 16:53:02 EST 2000

Greetings all!

We are attempting to freshen up our navigation buttons at our web site
(http://www.gov.on.ca/FIN/english/neweng.htm)

While I currently don't mind the buttons in use, I need a way to make the
page one is currently on more visible (using the change in colour of the
text on the button seems to be too subtle <g>).  Currently each button is
its own individual gif file - and hard to change names for someone who
doesn't graphic much <sigh>.

So, the idea was to make a button gif and use it as a background image for
each cell in the table.  Then I could write in my own text.  There would
be 2 images - one for regular buttons and one in a lighter shade for the
page you're on (the 'depressed' button). This would also make it faster to
load - not a bad thing!

Now, since I have specified the background image for the table data cell
and also a font colour for the text...when i insert the link (the real
purpose of the navigation button)...the text is underlined.

My first question is - is there a way to make the underline disappear?
melt in?  I want them to click and go...  We looked at the use of the link
attributes in the BODY tag, but it  would appear not to have an effect
given the background image and font colour.

Or is this an impossibility?

My second, marginally-related question...recommendations for sites with
nice buttons?  We're not allowed to use Java under the design standards so
my ideal is a pleasant gif file.

I have searched a couple of web-based resources to no avail.
many thanks!
Susanne Baker
Systems Librarian
Research and Information Services