[WEB4LIB] Re: Choosing Web Editors

P. F. (Pat) Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Thu Feb 17 14:34:21 EST 2000

My staff use Dreamweaver, with varying results and levels of comfort.
I hard code everything with BBEdit. We've tested many others over
the years, and everytime someone gets hooked on a new editor, we end
up going through a learning curve and transition when somebody else
disagrees with them. The best thing about Dreamweaver is that it
generates code that I can hard edit without really causing me problems.
Pretty clean! Personally, I still find that my staff seem to be bemused
by how the code really works and what are coding standards, and they
keep encountering ... little surprises, where they try to figure out
just why or how Dreamweaver did some peculiar thing. As so many other
have said, hard code and you get no real surprises, just typos. Also,
to really use Dreamweaver effectively you must have a stable network
environment, which we lack. I can work much faster with a strict text
editor than my staff can with an open network connection.

Pat Anderson
P. F. (Pat) Anderson                  734/763-2953, voice
Dentistry Library, Univ. Michigan     734/764-4477, fax
1100 Dental Bldg.                     <mailto: pfa at umich.edu>
1011 North University Ave.    WWW: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/
Ann Arbor, Michigan    WWW: http://www.lib.umich.edu/libhome/Dentistry.lib/
48109-1078

"Where a great library exists, college advantages seem to be multiplied,
 as by the turning of a kaleidoscope." Anonymous. Princeton Review 3(12)
1874:722.