[WEB4LIB] Re: CSS font sizes

Walt Crawford Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Thu Feb 17 11:46:09 EST 2000

I avoided jumping in earlier, but I have to agree with this mini-rant:

>Regardless of whether my theory is correct, I have to take the opportunity
>to rant (briefly) about the soundness of setting the font size for a page's
>main content two sizes smaller than the default.  Why force users to read
>text two sizes smaller than the size they have determined (in their
>browser's preferences) is most comfortable for reading?

I'll go one step further: why insist on setting the typeface for a page's main
content?

(Yes, I know, most hotshot commercial pages force everything to
Verdana/Arial/Helvetica/Sans.
Most hotshot commercial pages also have banner ads, blinking/animated segments,
and other
wonderful stuff: does that make it right?)

Why not let people use their own preferred typeface for the bulk of a page,
forcing your own choices only when there's a good reason?

In any case, even the name "x-small" should be an indication that the results
may be just a tad small.

[Some of us with good eyesight, at least as corrected by deep lenses, set our
screen resolution a little high so that Windows and browser control areas take
up less of the screen. Normal-size type is just fine. Drop down two sizes and
you're basically telling me that this is fine print that you really don't want
me to read anyway. So be it.]