[WEB4LIB] mr. sid (fwd)

John Weise jweise at umich.edu
Wed Feb 16 11:22:47 EST 2000

The University of Michigan (UM), Digital Library Production Service
(DLPS), Image Services, has been using MrSID for a few years now to
provide public access to high resolution, continuous tone, images from
libraries, museums, and archives. We have found MrSID to be very
beneficial. It simplifies the process of providing multiple resolutions
online, and adds functionality such as zooming and panning. It greatly
reduces the amount of disk space required to provide access to multiple
resolutions of an image, and we typically only use 20:1 compression.

At UM we have designed and built our own system for providing federated
access to distributed and disparate image databases. This system
incorporates MrSID image retrieval software specifically. We do not use
the Image Server product provided by LizardTech.

In the near future, the UM access system will be available for licensing
by academic and not-for-profit organizations through the University of
Michigan Digital Library eXtension Service (DLXS). For more information
please visit http://www.umdl.umich.edu/dlxs/ .

You may also try the UM image access system at...

http://images.umdl.umich.edu/

The Special Collections Library and the Museum of Art collections, among
others, are public and demonstrate the capabilities of MrSID.

Additional technical information is available at...

http://images.umdl.umich.edu/info/

Thanks.

---- John

John Weise