Windows equivalent for the DOS command "dir > file.name"

Walt Crawford Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Tue Feb 15 17:54:19 EST 2000

>None that I've found.  No way to print a directory listing either, except
>from a DOS window.

Might I mention PowerDesk from Mijenix, which comes in Windows 95/98/NT versions
(all in the same box, I think)?

It makes printing a complete or partial listing of a directory (or directory
tree) trivial; it also provides a lot of other power not in Windows
Explorer--including builtin Zip/Unzip, QuickView viewer pane, 2-window view,
etc.

Of course, with either Explorer or QuickView, you can select all (or part) of a
directory, copy it, and paste it into a document--but that's admittedly more
steps than dir>file.name.

[I'm not sure PowerDesk is still available in its own box, but even bundled in
with Fix-It Utilities it's a reasonable bargain. I have mixed feelings about
Fix-It Utilities itself, but PowerDesk is the best thing since...well, since the
Central Point replacement for Explorer that Symantec eventually dropped.]