[WEB4LIB] Re: Screen captures

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Mon Feb 14 16:29:27 EST 2000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Charles P. Hobbs wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Cathy Cox wrote:
>
> > I've done screen captures before and inserted them into instructional
> > handouts and webpages - but only on a Mac.  Now that we've converted to
> > PCs, I'm having trouble doing the same thing.
> >
> > What I'm looking for is the technique for getting a full-screen capture of,
> > say, searching our catalog via Netscape, with all the toolbars and so on,
> > so that I can show students how to navigate and so on.  I've tried ALT-PRNT
> > SCRN, which captures it to the clipboard, but then when I try to open it in
> > Word all I get is gibberish.  I'm sure that there's an easy way to do
> > this.  Anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> How are you trying to open it? Hitting Printscreen (for the whole screen)
> or Alt-Printscreen (for the active window only), then going into Word and
> selecting "Paste" (Control-V) works fine for me, on various versions of
> Windows (3.1, 95, 98) and Word.

When you do a PASTE in Word, or in many other programs, it makes its best
guess from the available formats in the clipboard. It might not guess
right. Instead, go to "Paste Special" and choose the bitmap format.

--
Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760