[WEB4LIB] RE: going "back" from sites

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:23:01 EST 2000

On searches I almost always right click and bring up the link in a new
window for at least three reasons.

1. I can go exactly back to where I was on the searchpage
2. because the cr_p that happens like the going back problem
3. I can compare the information from two sites in the search results
without having to jump through all the links back and forth.

I can always hit reload to be on the same search page and want the
visited links to change color.  I work very often with multiple browser
windows open (on purpose).  This is the best fix I've found especially
for search sites and found that I've been very thankful that I did.  On
occasion though you will find this no back problem after you've got into
the sight and have to resort to the afore mentioned alternatives.

Thomas

Dennis Brantley wrote:

> Melissa Saucier wrote:
> >
> > I know in both Netscape and IE, you can right click on the
> > back button and it will bring a quick history list that you
> > can pick from.
> >

> Yes, but the real aggravation I run into frequently is this:
>
> I go to altavista and do a search.
> I dig through many hits, and click on one.
> It happens to be one of these sites that 'captures' your browser.
> You can use history to go back to altavista, but you have to do the
> search again.
>
> People that do stuff like this.....
>
> --
> Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
> Data Access Technologies, Inc.
> Internet/Remote Access - CD Networking - Thin Client Computing
> Citrix Solutions Partner/Citrix Education Solutions Provider

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine