[WEB4LIB] RE: Netscape link problems...

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 10 21:06:00 EST 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Thomas Dowling wrote:

> From: "Toni Walder" <walderan at oplin.lib.oh.us>
> >
> > Some of us just DON'T like IE -- I admit to being initially opposed to
> > it because I resented Microsoft shoving it down our throats. But good
> > little librarian that I am, I eventually loaded it and tried it. I just
> > don't think it has the functionality Netscape has.
>
> I'm absolutely not inviting a flamewar about who's got the better browser
> (nobody meets my expectations until they handle <LINK> correctly), but
> what Netscape functionality are you focusing on that isn't available in
> IE?

Bookmarks. Netscape's single bookmark.htm (300k stores thousands) is
easily transportable, while IE consumes thousands of files ("links") &
folders just to keep track of the same bookmarks--putting that on a
floppy or uploading it is agonizing.

Organizing/editing Netscape's bookmarks seems much easier to me, but
that may just be personal preference. However, ease of backup and reuse
of bookmarks is a simple matter of numbers (files and bytes).

*****
Dorothy Day
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University
day at indiana.edu
*****

	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."