Limiting browser access to a specific IP range

Stefano Bargioni bargioni at usc.urbe.it
Wed Feb 9 09:17:30 EST 2000

Mary Anne Doyle wrote:

> I would like to limit browser access to a specific IP range
> without using 3rd party software.  I know it can be done but
> I can't remember how to do it the best way. I am turning to the
> this excellent list for the answer.

Mary, the solution can be hw or sw dependent. Which browser? Which platform?
However, you can consider the possibility to enter the prefs of (your) browser and set proxy to dummy.ctstateu.edu (a non existing machine) and set no proxy on library.ctstateu.edu, for instance, if the IP range matches a sub-domain.
Then you need to protect the preferences... In a MacOS environment this is simple to do.
Bye. Stefano
--
Dott. Stefano Bargioni
Pontificia Universita' della Santa Croce - Roma