[WEB4LIB] Re: Mac software

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Fri Feb 4 12:38:25 EST 2000

At 7:33 PM -0800 2/3/2000, Christopher Handy wrote:
>  > I have an IMac that I am setting up so that university art students can
>>  access study pages from home.  I do not have server software on this unit,
>>  it is accessed from other machines via Apple Share.  There are certain pages
>>  within the study site that need to be locked down with a password because of
>>  copyright requirements.  Javascript passwords appear very easy crack.  Can
>>  anyone recommend software that will do the job? Even cheap server software
>>  with a security component for individual pages?
>
>You might investigate MacHTTP (shareware):
>
>  <http://www.starnine.com/machttp/machttp.html>

MacHTTP is about 6 years old, has many memory and security flaws, and
has been totally superceded by other server software, including the
commercial version, WebSTAR, which is a very high-quality web, ftp,
mail and proxy server with a lot of add-ons, password and SSL
support, and a great manual (which I wrote ;-)

For a free server, use Apple Personal Web Sharing
<http://pws.hhg.apple.com/>, for a shareware version, Stairways
software still supports NetPresetnz
<http://www.stairways.com/netpresenz/>, and there's always Apple's
AppleShare IP.

Fro a helpful list archive of Mac web stever postings, see
<http://www.lists.apple.com/apple-net-servers.html>

Best of luck,

Avi