Think server.

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Thu Feb 3 11:05:53 EST 2000

Or that is what I would do for a grand workstation.  RAID disk storage, CD
(or DVD) writer, more than one processor and a GIG of RAM.  Lots of cache
memory and a bus that uses the latest (or best) Intel chip set.  Perhaps
also a ZIP on a USB port for sharing information if not a JAZZ drive.  If
you have Windows, get a monitor to allow more than one window at a
time.  It is early, but possible to use Linux.  I would not - right
now.  At least 19" and let your desktop limit the top end.  Windows
2000.  Exceptional graphics card with over 16 MEG.  I don't know about 3d
graphics, but it may have library applications in the future.  Now it is
mostly for games, in my opinion.  I would look at Dell workstations or Sun
computers.  Intel ethernet card.  Perhaps a tape backup if you do not
backup to the network.  Think what you will need the year after next.  The
most expensive unit you can buy is the one with no future.  Not the highest
price tag.

Good Luck!

Gary Masters

At 07:44 AM 2/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Ever been told you can have your dream PC?  Well I sort of had this
>happen to me the other day and I don't know what to do so I have
>turned to you all for advice.
>
>I have been told I am getting a new PC with the specifications I
>want.  The problem is I don't really know what I should ask for.
>What should my wish list be filled with?  How much memory does a web
>master at a small university library need?  What type/speed
>processor should I have?  What should I use for mass storage (my zip
>drive just isn't a good solution)? Video and sound card suggestion?
>
>What are the essentials in  hardware and software that you have or
>would like to have as a web designer?
>
>Put your thinking caps on and tell me your ultimate web designer's
>wish list.
>
>If enough people are interested I can send the results to the list.
>
>Thank you all,
>

>Jeri Traw
>Reference Librarian/ Web Coordinator
>Kimbel Library