[WEB4LIB] Re: eb page creation software

John C Harvey jharvey at irving.lib.tx.us
Thu Feb 3 10:25:21 EST 2000

Carmen Oliveras asked:

> I am working in a small academic library and we would like to put our home
> page on the web, therefore we are exploring our options as to what type of
> creation software to use.

Shirl Kennedy replied:

> Dreamweaver/HomeSite

I second that emotion. I recently upgraded to Macromedia's Dreamweaver 3, and
it's taken all the things I loved about earlier versions and made them better.

I especially like the built in site management capabilities. If you move or
rename a file, DW automatically scans all files on your site to correct the
links.

In addition, the new version has added a "Clean up MS Word HTML" command. If
you've ever had to go into a converted Word file and muck out of the redundant
non-proprietary code. For those who can't resist a little hand-tweaking now and
then, it comes bundled with Allaire's excellent HomeSite 4.5.

If you can afford it, plop down the extra $100 and get the Dreamweaver/Fireworks
Studio. Once you've created Web graphics with Fireworks, you'll wonder how you
ever got along without it.

You can download fully-functional 30-day free trials of just about any
Macromedia product at:

    http://www.macromedia.com/software/downloads/

I am not in the pay of Macromedia; I just really like their stuff (although a
new release of Freehand is way overdue).

----(Imagine a fancy inline graphic here.)----

John C Harvey
jharvey at irving.lib.tx.us

"There must be more to life than having everything."
--Maurice Sendak

The views and opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect official
policies of the Irving Public Library or the City of Irving.

Contents under pressure